Just arrived! All these Corgi models have recently been added to the Tortoys catalogue.
Corgi Toys were introduced in 1956 by Mettoy Playcraft after a few years of producing their "Castoys" series in various scales. They were intended to compete with the well-established Dinky Toys, and this they did very effectively by constantly introducing new operating features. From the start, all Corgis were fitted with glazing which led to the range being promoted as "The Ones With Windows".
Including various other Corgi commercial vehicles from the 1980s onward.
Vanguards were launched in 1996 by the Lledo company as a range of highly detailed models in a constant 1:43 scale, mainly of classic British cars and trucks. Corgi continued the Vanguards range after the take-over of Lledo in 1999, initially under the Lledo banner and later as Corgi Vanguards. For this reason some the later releases will be found in this section of the Tortoys online shop, while earlier Vanguards will be found in the Lledo section.
Mettoy Playcraft, makers of Corgi Toys, introduced Husky models in 1964 as a smaller-scale range to compete with the Matchbox 1-75 series. Unlike Matchbox, all the Husky models were packaged in see-through blister packs which could not be used for storing models once opened. This means that mint models in original packaging are very rare and command premium prices. Husky models were sold exclusively by Woolworth stores, and production continued until 1969 when the range was relaunched as Corgi Juniors. In common with other brands, many of these were fitted with low-friction Whizz Wheels.
The Corgi Rockets range was introduced in 1970: as well as Whizz Wheels, these had removable plastic chassis and axle/wheel assemblies that could be swapped. The Golden Tune-Up Key supplied with each model was used to unclip the chassis from the vehicle. Rockets were designed to compete head-on with Mattel's Hot Wheels, and similar track components were available.
Production of Juniors and Rockets continued until 1972, Corgi Juniors reappearing in 1975.